How do I create a Government Gateway ID?
A government gateway ID will enable you to access HMRC’s secure online services including the HMRC Portal which will give you access to things such as your personal or business tax account, Self Assessment records and payments, Corporation Tax records and payments for your limited company, PAYE for employers and VAT information.
Put simply, the government gateway ID is your access to your HMRC’s record.
So how do I get an ID?
Her is our step by step guide to creating a government gateway account:
- Go to HMRC’s log in page
- Click ‘Sign in’ button
- Click ‘create sign in details’ – At the time of writing you will have to scroll down to confirm you don’t need coronavirus guidance
- Enter your email address
- You should then receive an email with a confirmation code which you use to confirm your email address.
- Once you have confirmed your account you will receive a User ID for your government gateway account.
You need to keep a note of this number as it is a hassle getting it reissued, in particular it can take some time so if you are close to a deadline you may miss it.
When your government gateway ID is set up you can then add your services that you want attached to the account. You do this by:
- From the tax summary page, click ‘ Get online access to a tax, duty or scheme’
- Select the tax you want to add.
- Enter the required information.
HMRC will then post you an activation code, when this arrives, enter the code and you will be able to access the service you need. Please note, this may take up to 24 hours after you have entered the code for the system to update so you might need to try again the next day.
If you want further information, or a chat, about the ways in which we could help you with HMRC, simply get in touch to book a FREE consultation.