Are you an employer? – Real Time Information is on its way

In April 2013, HMRC is introducing a new way of reporting PAYE : Real Time Information, or RTI. ‘Real Time Information’ means that employers and pension providers will tell HMRC about PAYE payments at the time they are made as part of their payroll process rather than at the end of the year as per […]

We have opened another office!

We have just opened an additional office in Southwick, West Sussex so we can help more clients across a wider area. If you are looking for an accountant in Southwick, want help with your bookkeeping or need tax advice why not pop in and see us. Our new office address is 5 Green Mews, The […]

Have you received a redundancy payment in the past few years?

If you have been unlucky (or lucky depending on your point of view!) enough to have been made redundant in the past couple of years it is worth checking the amount of tax you paid on any redundancy payment you received. I have seen a few clients over the past month where they have had […]

You may work for yourself but the taxman may not see it that way!

You might run your own company but HMRC may think you should be treated as an employee for tax purposes if the ‘IR35’ rules apply to you. HMRC have recently issued some guidelines that you can use to assess your situation to determine the likelihood of falling into this category and being looked at by HMRC. IR35 rules apply […]

Is it time to review your mortgage and cut your outgoings?

With interest rates held at record lows, there is currently a tremendous opportunity to review your mortgage and cut your monthly outgoings.  If you secured a fixed rate deal 4-5 years ago you could see your interest rate cut by as much as half, allowing you to reduce your monthly outgoings or become mortgage free […]

We are sponsoring the Global Mumpreneurs Networking Day on September 13th.

We are proud to be one of the sponsors of the Global Mumpreneurs Networking Day on September 13th being held at the Grand Hotel in Brighton. The Mumpreneurs Networking Club  is holding events in countries as far apart as Australia, China, Canada, France, Italy and the U.S to highlight the work and contribution that Mumpreneurs […]

Do you need to register for VAT? Have you heard of the VAT initiative scheme?

The VAT Initiative campaign is an opportunity for businesses to tell HMRC, between now and 30 September that they should be registered for VAT. The campaign is aimed at businesses that: have already passed, or are expecting to pass within the next 30 days, the current VAT threshold of £73,000. have passed the VAT threshold […]

Motoring Expenses; Did you know you have a choice?

If you are self employed and use your car for business purposes, you can either claim a fixed rate for each mile travelled on business (45p for the first 10,000 business miles and 25p thereafter in 2011/12) of you can claim the actual expenses. To do this you will need to keep accurate records of […]

Government are phasing out National Insurance number cards

If you are taking on a new employee they may not have a National Insurance Number Card.   Traditionally HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has notified individuals of their National Insurance number for the first time by sending them a plastic National Insurance number card.   Last year, it was announced that HMRC would stop […]

Class 2 National Insurance Contributions

Class 2 National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are payable by self employed people at a flat rate of £2.50 per week (2011/12), however, if your earnings are below £5315 you may be exempt from paying them or may make a claim for a small earnings exemption. If this applies, you may still wish to make voluntary […]